The sfincione is a Sicilian pizza. The base is soft and thicker than the one used for a regular pizza and is covered with a mixture of tomatoes, anchovies, cheese, olive oil and sometimes breadcrumbs.
Sfincione means “thick sponge” and though the origins of this pizza are lost in history, by the mid-nineteenth century it was a staple in western Sicily and many times served as part of the antipasto.
Traditional recipe without cheese.
Serves 6 to 8.
Prep time: 20 Min Cook time: 15 Min Ready in: 12 Hrs 35 Min.
Ingredients1 teaspoon active dry yeast 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F) 3/4 cup cold water 1 teaspoon salt 2 1/4 cups bread flour 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs 1/2 cup olive oil 1 large onion, chopped 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets packed in olive oil, drained
1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a large bowl. Let stand until dissolved, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir the cold water and salt into the yeast mixture and gradually stir in flour until the mixture pulls together into dough.
3. Remove dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes, until a smooth tight ball can be formed.
4. Dust the dough with flour and place in a sealed container or re-sealable bag with plenty of extra room.
5. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours, and up to 3 days.
6. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
7. Stretch out the dough and press into a large oiled baking sheet.
8. Use a fork to poke holes all over the dough so that it will rise evenly.
9. Toast the breadcrumbs in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown, set aside.
10. Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, cook and stir until tender.
11. Remove from the heat and stir in the crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes.
12. Arrange anchovy fillets evenly over the dough.
13. Spread the tomato sauce heavily over the entire crust.
14. Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
15. Allow the dough to rise near the warm oven for about 30 minutes.
16. Bake the pizza on the bottom rack of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until the bottom of the crust is golden brown.
Mangia – Eat!